Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sometimes you just need a drink...

One of my favorite places in DC to have brunch is Marvin. I have not yet posted a review of Marvin because, every time I bring my camera to the restaurant, I somehow forget it is in my purse right around them time that they bring me my first mimosa. The purpose of mentioning Marvin in this post is that the owners recently purchased the vacant building next door and have converted it into a "Prohibition style speak easy." I had read about the Gibson in a few articles and it was featured in the March issue of the Washingtonian magazine as one of the 100 best bars in DC. The review kept mentioned the lack of signage and the unmarked door which made the whole thing seem a bit too pretentious for my tastes.

I eventually caved to my curiosity, especially since Aaron is such a fan of old-school cocktails. Thus, began my incredibly arduous battle to get a reservation. Even though the need to make a reservation and the attitude of every person I talked to on the phone should have reinforced my original decision to avoid the hassles, it instead manifested itself in my absolute need to win! I finally managed to get a reservation for two people at 7:30 on Saturday night. I was given very explicit instructions that if we got there more than 10 minutes late the table would be given away and that there was a two hour limit on our table.

After all the trouble, I walked into the Gibson with the firm intention to dislike it. I managed to maintain that attitude as we shown to are table by the giant bouncer and almost set our menu on fire while we held it over the tiny tea light candle on the table (which was the only light source in the place). I even managed to mock the all black walls and floors and the fact that they had even painted the beautiful front window black. Then I ordered my first drink. The Salad Day Sour was a combination of celery-infused Macchu Pisco, lemon, The Bitter Truth Celery Bitters and burnt cinnamon. I don't know what possessed me to order the drink, since writing it all out now makes it sound a little gross. Whatever the motivations, the drink was amazing. I particular like it when bartenders find away to make you think you are doing something healthy when you consume your cocktail. I felt pretty damn good after I emptied my martini glass of salad blended with high doses of alcohol. Aaron had a Sazerac which the waitress lit on fire at the table. I knew right then I was not going to like that drink. My initial reaction was affirmed after Aaron let me take a tiny sip of his rye + absinthe concoction.

After washing the taste of Sazerac out of my mouth with the remaining gulps of my salad drink, I decided it was best to stick with my fruity drinks and picked the Brunswick Sour (a mix of Appleton Estate White Rum, cane sugar, lime and a merlot float) for my second round. The merlot float was a carefully poured layer of merlot wine floating on top of the lime and rum. It was like dessert to my responsible dinner course of salad. Aaron had a Rhum Manhattan which was slightly better than his first choice but the waitress could still light his on fire. It should be mentioned here that Aaron loved both of his drinks.

The only thing that the Gibson really needed to score 100% was some type of food and maybe a slight reduction in the arrogance level. Gibson's is a great place for special occasions or when one of your really rich friends is paying for the drinks. The cocktails run between $10-$16. Wine and bubbles are also served for those that are a little scared of mixed cocktails...although that is kind of the whole point of going to Gibson. Make sure you eat beforehand or that you can get to a Big Slice quickly afterwards. Two drinks goes a long way at the Gibson.

2009 14th Street, NW
Call 202-232-2156 for reservations
No website...because that is how cool they are

No comments:

Post a Comment